Launching a new joint poster campaign, RTA and Michelin aim to reduce the number of accidents on the road and the number of failed inspections by raising awareness of how to carry out five simple checks, like inspecting tyre tread and depth.
The poster highlights what to look out for before getting the behind the wheel of a car or taking a vehicle for its annual inspection. It is hoped this can give motorists peace of mind while driving and avoid the hassle of their car failing at vehicle inspection centres, saving drivers both time and money.
The poster highlights:
- How to inspect tyres, including tyre pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tyres should also be checked for bulges and bald spots; should have a tread depth of more than 1.6mm, and should be less than 5 years from date of manufacture;
- Check all fluids, including brakes and parking brakes.
- Ensure the windscreen, which can become cracked and brittle, is in good quality. Any cracks should be repaired. In addition, laminates should not impair visibility in any way – only approved stickers permitted.
- Make sure all lighting, including all exterior lighting, is working properly.
- Check the exhaust, as emissions must meet regulated standards.