More than 20% of the dead toll on UAE’s roads are attributed to lane swerving / abrupt changing of lanes, according to data released by the MOI. Lane swerving is linked to not using the indicator and warning other drivers about the intended lane changes.
Many non-fatal accidents can be avoided when indicators are used and other drivers can react accordingly. Use your indicator ALWAYS when you want to change your direction, protects YOU, your PASSENGERS and OTHERS! It’s not rocket science – and it can safe lives!
We conducted the first-ever UAE ‘Indicator-Use’ research in February 2016 with interesting findings, like only 15% of motorists observe other motorists always using their indicator!
How to do it right
- Bear in mind, that non-use of indicators is a main ingredient to the #1 KILLER on our roads!
- Using your indicator is a basic rule of road safety (non-use carries fines and black points!)
- Using your indicator shows good manners – it’s basic etiquette to signal where you intend to go to!
- Protect YOU and OTHERS!
- Make it a HABIT to ALWAYS use your indicator
- Start indicating a few seconds before you actually move, to make others aware.
- Check in front & around you – check mirrors – indicate – maneuver!
- When you see somebody else indicating, be polite and caring and allow them to move.
- Indicate ALWAYS when you want to:
- Change lanes
- Take a turn
- Leave a roundabout
- Push out of a parking slot
- Take an exit