For many years, the #1 killer on UAE roads is ‘Lane Swerving’ / abrupt lane changing (according to data released by the MOI).
Changing lanes properly can be a complex maneuver and it must always take our full attention!
How to do it right!
- Be fully concentrated and avoid distractions, especially in dense traffic.
- Look in front of you, behind you and next to you if you are clear to change lanes.
- Use your indicator a few seconds BEFORE you change lanes.
- Be mindful of those around you and observe the different speeds of the cars in the other lanes.
- If you want to exit, go to the right lane in time.
- If you need to cross multiple lines, do it one-by-one and check carefully prior to each lane change.
- Be considerate to other drivers who want to change their lanes.
- Drive defensively and with anticipation.
- Many high-end cars come with lane departure warning / assistance system – consider this key safety feature in your buying decision.
Watch out for this
- Do not cross more than 1 lane at once.
- Stay away from any distractions when changing lanes and be fully concentrated.
- Don’t cut into the way of other drivers.
- Don’t do last second lane changes or exits – you must plan your moves in time!
- Watch out for drivers not changing lanes properly – they endanger you and themselves.
- If your car has lane departure warning / assistance systems – switch them on!
Share your story
It appears in the UAE the use of indicator is optional, drivers always have to get to the signal first. I had my lisence converted, but am too afraid to drive. Changing lanes requires you to push you nose in so aggressively that it becomes a battle of wills….who will chicken out first and give way to the other. I also sometimes wonder how some drivers got their licences….bought them in the basement at Lulu supermarket? Suffice to say that I take my life in my hands every day going onto the roads in Abu Dhabi.
Its indeed true and we often see drivers just moving in front of you without indicating and some feel that its their right to move in after flashing indicators no matter whether its safe to shift lanes . I often see this daily commuting from home to Office and back.
Better use indicator 1st because other cars can take decisions
Fully agree! We need to use the indicator BEFORE we start maneuvering! We need to INDICATE our INTENTION to move. Only when we do it that way we can make sure to inform the others around us about our intention!
Kind regards and drive safely,
Your RoadSafetyUAE Team
Completely agrees that have to use the indicator well in advance , as it helps the other drivers who shares the road to act accordingly.