For many years, the #1 killer on UAE roads is ‘Lane Swerving’ / abrupt lane changing (according to data released by the MOI).
Changing lanes properly can be a complex maneuver and it must always take our full attention!
How to do it right!
- Be fully concentrated and avoid distractions, especially in dense traffic.
- Look in front of you, behind you and next to you if you are clear to change lanes.
- Use your indicator a few seconds BEFORE you change lanes.
- Be mindful of those around you and observe the different speeds of the cars in the other lanes.
- If you want to exit, go to the right lane in time.
- If you need to cross multiple lines, do it one-by-one and check carefully prior to each lane change.
- Be considerate to other drivers who want to change their lanes.
- Drive defensively and with anticipation.
- Many high-end cars come with lane departure warning / assistance system – consider this key safety feature in your buying decision.
Watch out for this
- Do not cross more than 1 lane at once.
- Stay away from any distractions when changing lanes and be fully concentrated.
- Don’t cut into the way of other drivers.
- Don’t do last second lane changes or exits – you must plan your moves in time!
- Watch out for drivers not changing lanes properly – they endanger you and themselves.
- If your car has lane departure warning / assistance systems – switch them on!
Share your story