Almost 18% of the death toll on our streets originates from ‘running over’ of pedestrians. Zebra crossings are designed to guarantee a safe passage for pedestrians. Be aware that motorists are in the stronger position and that pedestrians are in a very vulnerable position, especially at those zebra crossings without traffic lights! Motorists need to be caring and be extra vigilant when approaching zebra crossings / pedestrian crossings.
How to do it right
As a motorist:
- The yield signs at zebra crossings indicate, that pedestrians have right of way – obey it!
- Slow down or stop to make sure pedestrians can cross safely.
- If there is traffic behind you, use your hazard lights for warning.
- If there are 2 or more lanes, and another car already stopped for pedestrians, you must stop, too!
- If you approach a zebra crossing and you see pedestrians on the street already crossing, you must stop!
- Be very careful, mindful and polite when you approach zebra crossings!
- Don’t forget: once you step out of your car, you are also a pedestrian and you also desire that drivers watch out for you!
As a pedestrian:
- Don’t be distracted when using a zebra crossing (get off your phone!)
- Establish eye contact with approaching motorists
- Be mindful, that you are the weakest traffic participant
- Take no risks and don’t force your way (even if motorists have a yield-sign)
- Don’t cross by red light
Also refer to: http://www.roadsafetyuae.com/pedestrian-safety/
Share your story