Annual vehicle testing & registration is compulsory by law.
How to do it right
- Your vehicle has to be checked for technical road safety on a yearly basis (some exceptions for new vehicles apply)
- Pay any pending fines for traffic violations to renew the registration, as well as fees related to the renewal admin process.
- You must have proof of a valid insurance policy for your vehicle. There are many insurance cover options (vehicle, passengers, geography, etc.) available and you should be guided on your best option by your insurance company or the insurance broker of your trust.
- Valid UAE driving license and personal ID and residency information.
In the case of a new car registration you will receive a number plate, a registration card and a registration sticker (valid for 1 year and to be put on your number plate).
In case of a re-registration, you will receive a registration card and a yearly registration sticker for your number plate. Re-register and re-insure your car in time, before the current registration expires, and make sure you have the proper insurance cover in place.
Please note, that in case you bought your vehicle from a dealership, they can advise and guide you on the registration process.
If you bought from a private seller, a slightly different process is in place.
Check the following links for vehicle registration:
- In Dubai https://www.rta.ae and in detail:
- In Abu Dhabi https://www.tamm.abudhabi/journeys/drive-a-car/home?lang=en and in detail:
My comment is I went to your vehicle registration office and took my older car throught the testing process and promply failed the test even though the car had been in the shop getting repairs and at a cost of over $10000 dhs and the mechanic old me it was tested before it was released from his shop. However it did not pass due to what was called white smoke? I am not from UAE but I am here to working for the UAE government I am a American and feel the testing is not in favor of foiegners there were cars in front of mine that were in much worse shape but passed but my car did not make it please I just want to be treated fairly.